As we embark on the New Year, it’s an excellent time to refocus your pain management efforts. While resolutions are notoriously difficult to stick to, we think these practical tips will make a lasting impact on your pain levels.
#1: Refresh Your Exercise Routine.
Exercising for at least 30 minutes of exercise, 5 times per week can ease your pain levels. Physical activity is a natural painkiller, prompting the release of endorphins that reduce pain and stress while boosting your general sense of well-being.
In the New Year, opt for low-impact forms of exercise that you genuinely enjoy. Here are a few ideas:
- Take a nature walk.
- Partaking in a dance or aerobics class.
- Go for a swim at your community recreation center.
- Complete a session on the elliptical machine.
- Flow through a yoga routine (many free online videos can guide you through a yoga flow).
#2: Make Sleep a Priority.
Sleep is your body’s chance for repair and restoration. Optimizing your sleep routine can ensure that you get plenty of high-quality sleep each night, leading to less pain in the long term.
Here are a few simple ways to prioritize sleep in the New Year:
- Set a consistent sleep schedule that makes sense with your daily routine.
- Avoid eating heavy meals, drinking alcohol, or consuming caffeine within a few hours of going to bed. Many people benefit from avoiding caffeine after 2 pm.
- Leave all devices outside of the bedroom, as blue light can keep you awake. If you currently use a smartphone as your alarm, try investing in an old-school alarm clock.
#3: Keep Your Doctor in the Loop.
This year, try to maintain an open line of communication with your doctor about your pain. Your doctor can provide invaluable support and guidance throughout your journey to pain relief. Schedule an appointment at Hernando Orthopaedic to get started!